Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Message to 'bitter-Berit'

I think I am being haunted by my own ‘bitter-Berit’ for years now, (maybe I should call her ‘defensive-Diane’ or something hihi)

I recognize the issues written down in the previous post. In many of my decisions I am totally trusting my inner-voice and it tells me that a guy is absolutely not my type. The arguments brought up by my inner-voice for him being not my type are partly stupid: the one time you met him he was talking crap (still, I think this is quite a legal argument), his way of asking you out was sooo cheesy, he has almost only girls reacting on his networking page so he should be a player, he is 28 years old and still single so there should be something wrong….and so on. So many thoughts…And it makes me build up a wall around me and create a defensive attitude.

Regarding the example of being in a car and passing these exits, maybe you should also ask yourself these questions: What if you take one of these exits on the highway? Where will these exits eventually lead to? It could be that you will come to a dead-end.
Wouldn’t it be better to turn off your thoughts and just go? I wish it was that easy…

Yesterday I had this talk with a friend of mine and she reminded me of the fact that I have nothing to lose. She told me to just go on a date and see. But to me that is already a big step while again that little voice in my head tells me that he will see it as a sign that I like him. On the other hand my consciousness tells me that this will be about the fourth time in a year that I will reject a guy before I have even taken the effort to get to know him better. I am afraid that I have created a prince charming in my head which simply doesn’t exist. I am waiting for the same feeling and connection that I feel with that guy thousands of kilometres away from me. And I am afraid that I will not feel that with any other guy anymore.

Maybe it’s time to declare war to these ‘bitter-Berits’ because really: what do we have to lose? And about your date: don’t worry about it, just go! You never know how it is when you don’t try….Afterwards you can say if it was a good move or not. If it was not: you learn from it. (I know, this all sounds sooo cheesy) Most importantly: the road is not one-way, you can always turn around!

(It’s easy to write this down, but now I will also have to convince my alter-ego when it comes to my date…)

1 comment:

Dare Angels said...

Exacly! I should just go for it and shot my brain down and be my self...who ever I am... :)