Monday, September 8, 2008

Dear diary, today I dared to...

...call the dermatologist to cancel a facial peeling I was supposed to undergo next month. Since a few years I have had problems with my skin. I hated my big red nose with its huge pories (I always call it 'the strawberry on my face') and decided last spring to have a consult at the dermatologist. She advised me to go to a cosmetic dermatologist to have a facial peeling. This peeling consisted of a substance being put on my face and burning the upper layer of my skin so new skin would appear (I know, it sounds masochistic). Two weeks prior to the actual peeling I had to start using these cremes and after the peeling I would have a swollen face and was advised to use painkillers for one week. I also signed a contract which stated that I was aware about possible side effects. My god, now I am writing all these things down it even looks more crazy that I even thought about doing this!

Last months several friends told me not to do it while they didn't see the use of it. However, the real doubt came when even the lady of the tanning salon where I weekly go to told me that I really shouldn't do it because it was not necessary at all. I mean, she is a person that I don't even know very well, but her words were more trusting than those of all the others.

I do understand it when people decide to have cosmetic surgery or cosmetic changes of any kind, because it can raise confidence. I always compare it to the moment I got rid of my glasses and started wearing lenses. My dancing teacher one day told me she thought I showed so much more confidence since I was wearing those.

Still, I also realize that it is society that creates the beauty ideal and indirectly causes people deciding to turn to cosmetic surgery etc. There are these sayings like 'there is much more than what meets the eye'. I totally agree, but in reality the first impression often is the decisive one. Ok, I'm getting too philosophical here, I just think that feeling comfortable with how you look adds more to your appearance than any cosmetic change so I realize I have to work on that instead of turning to these artificial changes.

1 comment:

Dare Angels said...

I'm so proud over you. I can Imagine that it was a hard decission to first make the apointment and then deside not to do it. It's huge for you self asteem. You are beginning to realize that you are good enough and don't need to be some one else than yourself. Big hug!!